The holidays are almost upon us, and while most people are out spreading holiday cheer, there are some grinches running around causing trouble for others. Our office always tends to get a little busier around the holidays because certain crimes occur more frequently this time of year. Today, we take a closer look at five common crimes that tend to spike around Christmas.
Common Holiday Crimes
Here are five crimes that tend to become a little more popular during the cold winter months.
1. Drunk Driving – Minnesota police have already announced that they will have extra law enforcement on the road looking for drunk drivers this holiday season, so be sure to make some good choices. Spirits tend to flow freely when people have time off and are gathering with friends and family, and one too many can lead to a costly DUI charge.
2. Burglary – Criminals tend to take their activities indoors when then temperatures drop, and if people are travelling for the holidays, empty houses can be easy prey for burglars. Talk to your neighbours about keeping an eye on your house when you’ll be gone, and always make sure you lock your doors, even if you live in a seemingly safe community. You might also want to invest in a home security system like this one, https://paydaydeals.com.au/collections/cctv-security-cameras-systems.
3. Theft/Shoplifting – Millions of dollars worth of goods are shoplifted from stores every December, and more than a 23 million Americans have had a package stolen from their porch at one time in their life. The busy shopping season and the ease and availability of “porch shopping” makes retailers and consumers easy targets during the holiday season. Leave a note for package deliverers about where they should leave the package if you’re not home so you don’t become a victim of package theft.
4. Domestic Violence – Sadly, the holidays can also put extra pressure on spouses and family members, and the statistics show that this can lead to an uptick in domestic violence incidents. If you find yourself struggling to cope with a domestic situation during the holidays, please reach out to someone for assistance so the problem doesn’t snowball into a big issue.
5. Grand Theft Auto – Theft and burglary are common crimes during the holiday season, and few things are an easier target than an unattended and idling car. Because of this, Minnesota police have actually started ticketing drivers who leave their running vehicles unattended. We know that Minnesota winters can be extremely cold and you want to let your car warm up before you head off to work, but just know that it only takes a couple of seconds for your car to be stolen.
If you need legal help this holiday season, reach out to Avery Appelman and the skilled team of lawyers at Appelman Law Firm.