If you’ve never had to hire a lawyer before, you may not be familiar with what you should expect from them as it pertains to your case. Besides a solid legal defense, we’re going to use this blog to explain some of the things you should expect from a quality lawyer, and we’ll also touch on a couple things your lawyer will expect from you.
Expectations Of Your Lawyer
If you’ve put your trust in Avery or another quality lawyer, here’s what you can expect.
1. Due Diligence – If all cases were the same, you wouldn’t need a lawyer. The facts of the case could be announced, and a robot could analyze the law and render a decision. But because there are so many nuances with every case and countless idiosyncrasies in the laws that govern our state and country that you need a lawyer who is well-versed in the myriad of ways to challenge and win your case. That’s what Avery can do. He can interpret police reports, analyze previous holdings and ensure no stone goes unturned when it comes to preparing your legal defense.
2. Effective Communication – We always talk with our clients during our first meeting and establish how they would like to be kept in the loop. Some don’t want updates until there’s a change in the status of their case, while others want weekly phone calls or more frequent text updates. We’ll stay in contact with you throughout your case as you please, and we also need to know how to best reach you if we need a prompt reply, so we’ll ensure we have a clear understanding of how we’ll communicate out of the gates.
3. Fees Understood – You’re probably unfamiliar with the billing process, and nobody likes to get a bill for more than they expect. And while we can’t say exactly how much it will cost to defend your case, we can explain the billing process and how we’ll bill for services rendered so there is no surprise later down the road. We want you to have an expectation of our fees so that you know what to expect when the case concludes.
4. A Fighter And A Compromiser – Finally, if you hire Avery, you’re going to get someone who will fight hard for your rights. We got into law because we wanted to ensure every person got a fair shake in court, so if we feel like your rights were infringed, we’ll fight tooth and nail to earn a dismissal. On the flip side, we’d be remiss if we blindly argued the innocence of every single client. Regardless of our personal thoughts on your case, we also are willing to work with the prosecution to see if a plea deal can be reached. We may tell you it’s a terrible deal and we think we can win in court, or we may say you should consider the deal, but regardless, know that it’s an option when you have a good lawyer. You should expect that a good lawyer looks into all your legal options, from a strong defense to a plea bargain.
What We Want From You
Very quickly, here’s a short list of expectations we have for our clients:
- Open Communication – Get back to us in a timely manner, and we’ll do the same.
- Be Honest – Lying to us only hurts your case if the truth comes out in court.
- Listen – We expect you to listen to our advice. If we say stay out of the bar until your court date, don’t go to the bar with friends!
- Show Up – Finally, if we tell you that you’re needed in court, we need to be able to rely on you to show up.
If both sides keep these expectations in mind, most cases will run very smoothly. To get all of this and more from your legal defense, reach out to Avery and the team at Appelman Law Firm today.