Traffic offenses are the most common charges in the state of Minnesota. Because they are minor offenses, many people think it a waste of money to hire an attorney to defend a traffic ticket.
It is not a waste of money. In fact, hiring a defense attorney can actually save you money in the long run.
Here are some of the economic benefits of hiring a lawyer to handle your traffic offense:
- Without an attorney, there are no negotiations. The prosecution offers you a deal and you can either take it or leave it.
- Most traffic charges are minor offenses, yet the law behind them is complex. An attorney can navigate the legal maze for you.
- There are many fines and surcharges that come with a traffic ticket. An attorney can lessen or get rid of these altogether.
- Repeat offenders often have their driver’s licenses revoked or suspended. A lawyer can make sure this doesn’t happen, or help you get a limited license so you can still get to work.
- Many employers have a limit on the amount of traffic tickets an employer can get before getting fired. Additionally, employers almost always check a potential hire’s driving record before making a hiring decision. Having too many traffic violations on your record could cost you a job!
- Traffic offenders have to spend hours making court appearances. Sometimes they have to wait all day for their hearing. A lawyer can appear in court for you so you don’t have to miss work or waste an entire day.
These are just a few examples of how a criminal defense lawyer can save you money on your traffic violation. No matter what you’ve been charged with, hiring an attorney is a cheaper option in the long run.