We’ve written before on what you should and shouldn’t do when pulled over for DUI, but those tips don’t necessarily apply to every encounter you may have with the police. So here are 8 tips to remember during any police encounter.
- Respect the officer. Don’t mouth off or argue. Answer their questions politely.
- Remain calm and cooperate with the officer.
- Never touch the officer in any way.
- Refrain from making any statements about the incident (this includes where you’ve been, where you’re going, or how much you’ve had to drink). Anything you say will be used against you. Don’t give the officer a reason to arrest you.
- While you shouldn’t make any statements to the officer, you should provide them with your driver’s license, insurance, registration, and anything else needed for the officer to identify you.
- Document everything that happens during the encounter as soon as you can.
- Take down the officer’s name and badge number if you can.
- Contact an attorney right away after being arrested.