The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) is the primary source of information on the prevalence, patterns, and consequences of alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drug use and abuse in the general U.S. civilian non–institutionalized population, ages 12 and older. According to their most recent survey in 2014:
- Number of alcoholic liver disease deaths: 18,146
- Number of alcohol-induced deaths, excluding accidents and homicides: 29,001
- Heroin use more than doubled among young adults ages 18–25 in the past decade.
- More than 9 in 10 people who used heroin also used at least one other drug.
- 45% of people who used heroin were also addicted to prescription opioid painkillers.
Don’t just be another statistic when it comes to chemical dependency and substance abuse. It can be very hard to kick the habit, but your life and the lives of everyone in your support system will benefit from counseling. All you need to do is pick up the phone and take the first step. At Appelman Law Firm, we can help get the ball rolling. Contact us for a free case evaluation and to learn about the support options available to you.