We are proud to announce the first annual Appelman Law Firm Criminal Defense Law Scholarship. The winner will receive $1000 towards their law school tuition. See below for eligibility requirements, deadlines, and the application.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Have a criminal record (this information will be held in confidence)
- Be enrolled or accepted to an accredited law school within the United States
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher
The following documents must be provided for consideration:
- A completed application
- An official copy of a current academic transcript
- Copy of a police report regarding your criminal record (this information will be held in confidence)
- An essay of not more than three pages describing your crime, punishment, and how you have changed or overcame your past and what you intend to do in the future as an attorney
The award recipient shall provide the following documentation to obtain the scholarship:
- Proof of Legal Residency in U.S. (i.e. birth certificate, passport, permanent resident card, etc.)
- The Appelman Law Firm Criminal Defense Law scholarship is to be used exclusively for college tuition and related expenses. A check for $1000 will be made payable to the award recipient’s school to cover these expenses and he or she is expected to submit receipts in accordance with IRS regulations
One applicant will be awarded a $1000 scholarship in 2014. The Appelman Law Firm Criminal Defense Scholarship award recipient will be notified of the selection on or before August 1, 2014.
Completed applications must be submitted no later than May 31st, 2014. Application materials should be emailed to the attention of Ryan McGinty at Ryan@aacriminallaw.com or mailed to:
The Appelman Law Firm
6465 Wayzata Boulevard Suite 120
St. Louis Park, MN 55426
Click to download the 2014 Appelman Law Firm Criminal Defense Law Scholarship Application Form.